Dr. Speaker is widely recognized as one of the leading corneal surgeons in the country. As one of the first surgeons in the region to become involved with laser vision correction, he has performed over 65,000 LASIK and PRK procedures as well as other refractive surgeries, lens implants and corneal transplants. Dr. Speaker’s expertise is frequently sought by patients in demanding professions, including pilots, athletes, doctors and law enforcement officers because of his longstanding commitment to excellence and superior results.
In addition to being recognized as one of the leading corneal and laser vision correction surgeons in the region and the country, Dr. Mark Speaker has been named one of the Best Doctors in America® for 2015-2016. The prestigious recognition marks the 18th time that Dr. Speaker has earned this honor since 1994. In addition being listed on the Best Doctors in America® directory, Dr. Speaker has consistently been included in the New York Magazine and Castle and Connoly Best Doctors listings.
Dr. Speaker has been featured in major publications such as New York Magazine, SELF Magazine, Crain’s and Cosmopolitan Magazine.
Academic and Professional Experience and Affiliations
- Program Chairperson,
International Society of Refractive Surgery 2001 Clinical Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, New York Medical College
- New York Regional Medical Director,
TLC, The Laser Center: www.tlcvision.com
- Member, Board of Directors,
Castroviejo Corneal Society
- Member, Program Committee,
American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Director, Corneal Service,
Department of Ophthalmology, The New York Eye & Ear Infirmary – 1992-98
- Director of Resident Training,
Department of Ophthalmology. The New York Eye & Ear Infirmary – 1987-92
Publications and Lectures
- Dr. Mark Speaker is the author of dozens of scientific papers, book chapters and monographs. He lectures extensively in this country and abroad.
- Click here to visit Dr. Speaker’s Google Scholar page: scholar.google.com/scholar
- Corneal and Refractive Surgery Fellowship,
Wills Eye Hospital
- Chief Resident, Resident in Ophthalmology,
The New York Eye & Ear Infirmary
- Internship in General Surgery,
Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center
- M.D. and Ph.D.,
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Honors, Awards & Certifications
- Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® from 1994 to 2016.
- National Institutes of Health Medical Scientist Training Program
- Alpha Omega Alpha National Honors Society
- Founder, International Cornea Study Group
- VISX Star Surgeon awarded to the top Excimer Laser surgeons in the United States
- Wilfred Fry Lecturer, Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia
- Senior Honor Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology